Applying to the 2017 NextProf Fall Session
The 2017 NextProf Fall Engineering Workshop is seeking applications from women and traditionally under-represented groups at U.S. institutions who are senior-level Ph.D. candidates, postdoctoral researchers and early-career scientists and researchers in the field of engineering. To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have an interest in faculty career in engineering at an exceptional research or teaching institution
- Have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and excellence
- Be a US citizen or Permanent Resident
How to Apply:
Applicants may either apply directly to the workshop or be nominated by a faculty member or work supervisor. Applicants applying directly to the workshop will follow instructions as detailed below. Nominated applicants will receive a formal invitation to apply to the workshop, where they will be asked to submit a CV and statement of interest as outlined below.
Submitting an Application:
Applications for the 2017 NextProf Fall Engineering Workshop will be accepted April 27 – June 2, 2017, 5:00PM EST.
To apply, have the following two documents ready to upload in PDF format:
- Your updated CV or résumé. Save the file as “Last Name-First Name_CV_2017NextProf Fall Session”.
- A statement of your interest in the NextProf program (maximum length one-page, single-spaced, 12-point font, Arial or Times New Roman); be sure your name appears at the top of the page. File should be saved in the following format: “Last Name-First Name_Interest_2017NextProf Fall Session”. The statement should include answers to the following questions:
- What interests you about an academic career?
- Which of your experiences in research, teaching, and/or mentoring have shaped your future career plans and demonstrate your commitment to excellence and diversity?*
- What do you expect to gain by participating in the 2017 NextProf Fall Engineering Workshop?
*For suggestions regarding demonstration of commitment to diversity, please visit the FAQ page
Applicants must also request a letter of recommendation from a faculty member or work supervisor, and provide the contact information of the recommender with the application. Recommendation requests are not automatically generated from the application itself. Information regarding recommendations can be found in the Faculty Nominations and Recommendations section of this webpage.
University of Michigan applicants may use their current UM uniquename and Kerberos password to access the application.
Applicants external to the University of Michigan will be required to create a friend account that allows entry into the UM system.
Once the login profile is created, you may visit the online application to complete the applicant questionnaire and upload your documents.
A note about the submission process:
The application is submitted upon hitting the “Save” button. Once packets are complete (attachment of the required forms and faculty recommendation are received and processed), applicants receive a notice of completion. Be mindful, that this may take a few days after submission of all materials.
Applicants will be notified of acceptances by Friday, July 7, 2017.