NextProf is a workshop designed to give participants the opportunity to explore and prepare for a faculty position in academia. This three-day workshop aims to both increase diversity in the academy, as well as expand the conversation around equity and inclusion in academia. We strongly encourage women and traditionally underrepresented groups at U.S. institutions who are senior-level Ph.D. candidates, postdoctoral researchers or early-career scientists and researchers in the field of engineering to apply. To be eligible, applicants must:
- Have an interest in a faculty career in engineering
- Have demonstrated a commitment to diversity and excellence
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
How to Apply
Applicants may either apply directly to the workshop or be nominated by a faculty member.
Faculty Members: To nominate a NextProf participant, visit the nominations page. Nominated applicants will receive a formal invitation and link to apply via email.
Applicants: Please follow the instructions below.
Please Have the Following Three Documents Ready to Upload in PDF Format
- Current CV. Save the file as “Last Name-First Name_CV”
- A statement of your interest in the NextProf program addressing the following:
- What interests you about an academic career?
- Which of your experiences in research, teaching and/or mentoring have shaped your future career plans
- What do you expect to gain by participating in the NextProf Workshop?A statement of your interest in the NextProf program addressing the following:
Your statement should be no more than one-page, single spaced, 12-point font (Arial or Times New Roman). Include your name and date at the top of the page. Save the file as “Last Name-First Name_Interest”
- A diversity statement that describes your commitment to excellence and diversity, addressing past and or potential contributions to advance equity and inclusion through research, teaching, or service.
Your statement should be no more than one-page, single spaced, 12-point font (Arial or Times New Roman). Include your name and date at the top of the page. Save the file as “Last Name-First Name_Diversity.” For suggestions regarding the statement of interest, please visit the selection criteria page.
Letter of Recommendation
Applicants must obtain a letter of recommendation from a faculty member or supervisor.
Applicants may upload the letter of recommendation with their application or share the recommendation form link (link coming soon) with their intended advocate. The form includes a brief questionnaire and instructions for submitting a PDF letter of recommendation, which should address the following:
- Assess the candidate’s preparedness and readiness for a faculty position.
- Address the candidate’s research and level of scholarship, teaching ability and commitment to diversity and excellence.
Please note: if you were nominated for the NextProf Workshop by a faculty member, you do not need share the recommendation form link. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure their recommender has submitted the letter of recommendation.
- June 10, 2019: Application Deadline
- July 14, 2019: Applicants Notified of Decision
- July 28, 2019: Deadline to Accept Offer